Focusing On The Needs Of Your Children
When legal matters involve children, it is important that these situations are handled with care and compassion. While you are working to do the best for your child, you also need an attorney on your side who is working toward the same goals. Regardless of your relationship with children’s other parent, child custody and child support issues can be worked through with minimal stress and emotion to ensure the children remain settled, happy and healthy.
At Caffee Law Office, we understand how difficult it can be to face family law issues when your children are involved. Our lawyer is highly skilled in child custody and support issues, taking the time to get to know you and your children. This allows him to better strategize and ensure everyone’s best interests are protected as thoroughly as possible, whether you are going through a divorce or were never in a relationship with the other parent of your children.
Your Custody Rights And Options
There are a variety of ways in which child custody is handled. It is important to take into consideration both parents’ work schedules, the school and child care schedules of the children, and other important daily activities. While some parents automatically want to seek sole custody, this is not always right for the children. It is important for them to see both parents as much as possible.
All custody cases involve arrangements with physical and legal custody. These designations mean:
- Physical custody: The amount of time a child spends with a parent in-person is considered physical custody. This type of custody arrangement can be divided into joint, with parents sharing days and nights with each other, or sole custody, where one parent has full-time care of the child and the other simply has visitation.
- Legal custody: Making determinations that affect the child, such as health care, schooling and more, are aspects of legal custody. Joint legal custody is typical for parents, as they can then make decisions for the child together and keep each other informed. However, there are situations in which sole legal custody is best.
If you are a father wishing to establish paternity in order to assert your rights, we can assist you.
How Child Support Is Calculated
In addition to the emotional support a child needs from both parents, the child is also entitled to financial support from both parents. According to Wisconsin law, a formula is used in order to calculate the amount of child support that is to be paid by one parent to the other. A variety of factors are used in the calculation, including:
- The income of each parent as well as their income-earning potential
- How custody is divided and who has more physical time with the child
- The number of children each parent has together and separately
- Additional financial obligations such as child care and health care
Once a child support order has been established, it must be followed by both parties. If something has changed requiring the amount of child support to change, a modification to the child support order can be sought through the courts.
Let Us Help Your Family
We put you and your child first at all times throughout our handling of your child custody and child support matters. For more information or to schedule a free consultation at our Eau Claire office, call our firm at 715-318-2533 or contact us through our online form.